May 10, 2011

Just Black & White 4 - Gary

I was doing portraits so I decided to try one of my husband Gary.  I found a picture that had been taken a few years earlier at the twenty-five year anniversary celebration of the company I worked with.  Since I had worked for this company prior to the time they bought out the previous owner I was invited. It was a dress up affair and Gary was decked out from head to toe.  I must admit that he looks a bit stiff and he is much more hand-some than the drawing indicates but it was a new challenge and a fun project.


Gary

 The next step was a self-portrait which was very interesting.  I sat on the counter top in our bathroom and placed myself directly in front of the mirror.  With pad and pencil in hand I began.  It wasn't until later that I was told that most self-portraits done in this manner will have a very serious expression to them as you will see.  Reason being is that when you look at yourself in the mirror it is with a serious eye as you try to see all the detail you are about to draw.  Therefore drawing from a photo might get you better results.

Self portrait

The following drawings are a few more that I drew using the library books mentioned previously with the exception of the one titled My Imagination which was just as it is titled.  Also the second and third drawing were done using charcoal.

DM&T

DM&T

DM&T

My Imagination

DFAW

No comments: