May 5, 2011

In Living Color 2 - 1986

Stepping back in time once more I have to include the class I took through the local high school extension in 1986.  This was my first Watercolor class which happens to be my favorite medium.
I talked my sister-in-law, Sue, into going with me and we had classes one night each week for six to eight weeks.  Our teacher used the watch me then try it approach which I found easy at the time but later regretted since I didn’t learn anything more than how to copy someone else.  She would show us a different style and technique each week and also used various types of watercolor paper to show  how they differed one from another.  The paper we used in the first few pictures was really cool to paint on and I loved how the colors bled into each other.   I would really like to try another painting using that paper now that I have a little more experience and as luck would have it I still have a partial sheet  which also has the embossed brand name on it.  So if I still really like it I’ll know what to buy that is if it is still produced twenty five years later.  One technique I learned in the picture titled Winter is how to use a toothbrush to make snow.  With a little paint on the toothbrush you place it above the picture you are working on and run your finger over the brush causing the paint to splatter.  For a first time painter I was intrigued.


NOTE:  As I was going through and organizing some of my art work I found another painting that belongs with this group and wanted to include the painting of the seagulls.  It was the first time I had used a product called Miskit which is very much like rubber cement and blocks any color you place on the paper.  Once you have finished the painting you can peel or rub of the Miskit and the paper will be white.


Trees - 1986

Barn - 1986

Sunset - 1986

Winter - 1986

Seagulls - 1986

Floral - 1986

2 comments:

Tracy said...

Love these

Lynette Mills said...

They are really good Janet!