June 1, 2011

Just Black & White 10 - Misc 5

With many of the basics behind us Louise went on to teach us how to do portraits.  As you have seen in prior posts I had already dabbled in portraits but now would get instruction from someone who really knew what she was talking about.  The first thing we learned was facial proportions, click here.  I was amazed since I didn't realize there was so much preciseness to it.  Here are the notes and drawings from that class.


Head Porportions - view 1

Head Porportions - view 2

Much to our surprise the first portrait she had us do was a self portrait.  The trick here was we had to do it from memory and we could not use a mirror.  It was interesting to see the results of each student and how we viewed ourselves.  Also the drawing was not very detailed, more like the line drawings we learned in the beginning.

Self Portrait from Memory

I went on that week and completed two additional drawings both from the Lee Ames book.  The first one was done correct except for the forehead which was slanted to the back more severe than the original but, I decided to leave it that way as a reminder to get my proportions correct in the future.

DWLA

DWLA

No comments: