April 22, 2014

In Living Color 50 - Tulips

This painting is another study of one of the works of Birgit O'Conner who I've used as a teacher in the past.  I am drawn to her work and find I like to paint using her style which seems very much like Georgia O'keeffe.  The last two of her paintings I've studied and painted are In Living Color 34 here and 42 here

Tulips from Lesson Book
 
 
Tulips - Step by Step Process
 
The first step was to determine which colors to use from my palette then get started.  Here is the beginning stage, the first tulip.
 
 
Once I felt comfortable with the painting I moved onto the second tulip.

 
With the tulips complete it was time to do the stems.  The technique to achieve a rounded three dimensional look was tricky, especially the one on the curve, but I finally came up with something I was happy with.
 
 
The last step was to complete the background which took a bit of  time just to  determine how I wanted to do it.  I decided on an all dark look which is a little different than the original that I was working from but I really like the outcome.
 
Tulips
Watercolor
11" X 15"

 



No comments: