February 7, 2013

In Living Color 20 - Beach Scene

Our next painting was a beach scene that gave me both pleasure and pain.  The cartoon that Therese presented had Adirondack chairs sitting on the beach but I had taken a picture several years earlier and decided to use the chairs and umbrella in that picture instead.  Sand, water and clouds were not new to me so this was a chance to see what improvement I could make in those areas.  The tree branches is where the pleasure came in.  I had not done palms before and it was fun learning the process of layering to give it both depth and light.  The chairs and umbrella were a bit of a challenge but nothing note worthy.  Now comes the pain....the shadows.  I chose a grayish color to make the shadows and then was told by Therese that shadows should have purple in them so off to the palette to see how I could fix it.  I made a mix of purple and started to paint over the existing shadow but to my dismay I had mixed the color to dark and was now stuck with a way too purple shadow.  Some colors will lift easily and others will not and by now you probably know I used the will not color.  So try as I may I was not able to correct the issue to my liking and just had to call it good.  If I ever decide to frame this picture I will probably crop as much of the shadow out as feasible without jeopardizing the scene.  Once again a great learning experience.

Beach Scene
Watercolor
11"X15"

No comments: