July 11, 2012

In Living Color 13 - Washes

As with all things that come to an end there is a New Beginning.  My new beginning comes with a new teacher, Therese Ferguson, who at the time of taking Louise's place had twenty-five years of creating water color paintings.
Needless to say with that much background experience she was a good choice.
As I share my teachings from Therese it will be as though I am starting out as a brand new student and may at times look like I have regressed in my work.  With that thought in mind I will try not to get to detailed with the minor lessons and concentrate more on the new skills learned. Most teachers like to start at the beginning since they don't know what level each student is at and Therese was no exception.

We spent our first class learning all about paints, brushes, paper, and any other supplies that would be beneficial to us.  It was amazing to learn there are so many choices in each category and how choosing the right brands and items can make a world of difference in the outcome and ease of your painting.  We also covered a variety of items you can use to get different effects such as salt, bubble wrap, alcohol, saran wrap and paper dollies just to name a few.

Class Handouts


In our second week of class we started using our supplies doing sample techniques such as flat washes, graded washes, clouds and sunsets. 

Graded Wash

Graded Wash Multicolor



Clouds Multicolor




Clouds



Sunset with Clouds

Okay I know that it looks like I'm new on the job but most of the techniques were new to me and we only had a few minutes to complete each one.  



No comments: