Master - Boating on the Seine
After printing a copy I made the cartoon and prepared my watercolor paper with a tracing. It looked like a daunting task and being unsure where to start I set it aside for several months. In doing this painting I learned some very valuable lessons that I want to share. First when you print a picture from your home printer you can not always be sure that the colors will come out as the original shows. So with this in mind you will see quite a difference between the above photo and my finished painting. Also once you start painting a picture stick with the original photo you started with to complete it in case the colors change with the next printing as happened to me.
I started painting with a very subdued palette and had most of the painting complete when I saw another picture that had a little more detail and decided to print a larger photo to work from. The new photo was much different in color and not thinking about it I started using it to complete the painting. The outcome was a much brighter bluer water on the right side of the painting than it should have been. I also used cobalt blue which is a hard color to lift and correct. Below is my finished painting.
Master - Completed Watercolor
Even though this painting didn't turn out the way I had hoped it would it holds a special place in my heart. You see it was the last painting that I started under the direction of Louise. She, unfortunately, became ill and before I had completed the painting had passed away. She was a great teacher and I will forever be great-full of the lessons I learned from her.
1 comment:
Amazing job! Love it!
Post a Comment