July 4, 2011

Just Black & White 13 - Betty

It’s time to meet Betty.  Betty was my neighbor and became a good friend.  We first met when I was cleaning out the rain gutters at the condo we were living in while our home was being built.  She saw me and jokingly asked if I would do hers as well and was a bit surprised when I picked up the ladder and walked over to her yard.  From that day forward we became very good friends.  Betty was in her eighties and had a unique personality.  She was not afraid to speak her mind and most times you had to take her with a grain of salt.  I learned a lot from Betty during the time we spent together since she was very well read and enjoyed the cultural events that both Gary and I love.  This picture is one I took at her eighty-seventh birthday party and knew I had to put my pencils to it.

Betty Montrose

Betty was a very independent lady living on her own, driving her car, playing pinochle with a group of ladies weekly and doing all she could to keep active.  Unfortunately time caught up with her and her health started going down hill.  I was blessed to be there to help when she needed to go to the doctors office and hospital visits.  This picture is the black and white I worked from in my drawing.

Betty in Black & White

Betty’s family didn’t live here in Florida and she finally had to be moved to Minnesota to reside in an assisted living facility close to where her son lived.  We continued to keep in touch but Betty finally passed on to a better life.  I miss her still and want to dedicate this drawing to a very special lady.

My Friend Betty


No comments: